There are 2 ways to clean a range hood. One takes time and is tedious. The other is Dave’s way. Simple and quick, you will never clean your range hood another way again.
How to clean a range hood the hard way:
1. Remove the filter from the range hood.
2. Place the filter and the fan filter in boiling water in a bucket or some other decent sized container. The water should completely cover the filter.
3. Put on rubber gloves as you will be using sodium triphosphate as a detergent. (Note: Detergents containing phosphorus which contribute together with other sources of phosphorus to the over-fertilization of many fresh waters and other negative environmental effects)
4. Add sodium triphosphate to the water and mix. Let this soak for 1 hour.
5. After soaking for one hour, take out the fan and filter and remove the grease and dirt from each by scrubbing hard using a stiff brush.
6. Use your cleaning cloth and rags to wash the range hood thoroughly.
7. Rinse and dry the fan filter and parts and place back in the range hood.
How to clean a range hood the easy way:
1. Remove the filter and the fan from the range hood.
2. Place them in the dishwasher.
3. Run the dishwasher on a pot scrub cycle.
4. Place the filter and fan parts back in the range hood when the cycle is finished.