Food sometime gets burned in the microwave and can be difficult to clean. There are various products out there to clean the microwave, but all you really need are a few simple household supplies. Follow these steps to clean your burnt microwave–some are optional, depending on how bad the burning and smell are. You will need:
· A small, lidless microwavable bowl
· White vinegar
· Fabric softener
· Lemon juice
· Dish soap
· Kitchen cleaner
· Paper towels
1. Wipe out the microwave of any loose crumbs with a cloth or sponge.
2. Fill a small, lidless microwavable bowl with white vinegar. Dilute it with water or just use pure vinegar if the microwave needs a major cleaning.
3. Place the bowl in the microwave and heat it on high power for 5 minutes.
4. Allow the heated vinegar to sit in the microwave for 20 minutes, which will allow the steam to reach all parts of the inside of the microwave’s surface and loosen the particles adhering to the surface.
5. Wipe off the residue inside with water and a sponge.
6. Spray fabric softener onto the wet area and allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes. This will clean the last of the residue that is left after the vinegar cleaning.
7. Wipe off the fabric softener with water and a sponge.
8. Repeat the vinegar steaming if necessary.
9. Heat a bowl of water with a few tablespoons of lemon juice inside the microwave, if the vinegar smell lingers for too long or is too strong.
10. Wash the tray in the sink with dish soap, dry and replace in the microwave.
11. Spray the outside of the microwave with a kitchen cleaner and wipe with paper towels.
Tips & Warnings
- An alternative or addition to the vinegar method is baking soda and water with a sponge, which will raise the pH levels and create a basic solution that is a great cleaner.
- Be careful when boiling water or other liquids in the microwave; sometimes they can become superheated and explode.